This year we took our Annual Earth Day Celebration VIRTUAL via our Facebook on 4/21/2020. with art and educational activities for the whole family. This virtual experience was possible and create in conjunction with our partners from Green Iowa AmeriCorps at UNI and Cedar Falls Public Library.
The Beginners Bird Guide from Green Iowa AmeriCorps
Create a Monarch Habitat in your Garden from Green Iowa AmeriCorps
BINGO from Green Iowa AmeriCorps
Online Education Books from The Cedar Falls Public Library (LIVE storytime expired at 6 p.m. on 4/21/2020.
Hearst Center Pine Cone Animal Art Activity
Materials: pine cones, paint or markers, cornstarch, baking soda, glue, water and baby oil.
Directions for homemade clay:
1. Combine 1 cup of corn starch, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup of blue, 2 tbsp of water, 2 tbsp of baby oil 2. Mix ingredients together well for 10 minutes till the mixture is smooth and not sticky, so that you can work with it.
Directions on how to create your favorite pine cone animal:
1. Start your animals by making small round balls and shape how you see fit
2. Put a small amount of water when connecting the homemade clay to the pine cone – because of the glue in the mixture – it will stick
3. Use markers or paint on the homemade clay to create your finishing touches
4. Depending on how large your make your pine cone animal will depend on the drying time (1-2 days)